Research: Preferences among Strads & New Violins
| Articles related to the study
||PNAS paper + photos
Preferences among old and new violins, aka the Indianapolis experiment:
Since the publication of the paper in early January 2012, conflicting opinions about the study have appeared online and in print and broadcast media around the world. While some reporting has, in our opinion, been reasonably accurate and well-balanced (see links below); a good deal of coverage appears to be based on incorrect or incomplete readings of the paper. This has led to a great deal of misunderstanding of the study's aims, methods, and conclusions. While informed and detailed criticism is an essential part of the scientific method, the key word is informed! To this end, we have provided the complete text of the paper (including some previously unpublished photographs) here.
You can read responses by the authors and others to some of the most frequently leveled criticisms of the paper here.
If you have comments and criticisms that go beyond these - or if you have suggestions for further experiments - please contact Claudia Fritz.
Below is a list of articles or radio programs around the world:
The experience of three participants in the study:
Some relatively good articles (in terms of accuracy):
Some other articles
- A second article in the New York Times
- The Guardian
- Le Figaro
- Le Monde
- Milano Corriere
- Sciences & Avenir
- Le Nouvel Observateur
- and many more as the study featured in newspapers in Serbia, Estonia, Finland, Austria, Luxembourg ...
- 'Global Hit' on The World, 01/02/12
- 'Deceptive Cadence' by Christopher Joyce on National Public Radio, 02/01/12
- 'Forshung Aktuell' by Volkart Wildermuth on Deustchland Funk, 03/01/12
- 'To the point' on National Public Radio, 04/01/12 (go directly to 43'42)
- 'Science Publique' by Michel Alberganti on France Culture, 07/01/12
- 'Revue de presse culturelle' by Antoine Guillot on France Culture, 12/01/2012
- 'Les Années Lumières' by Chantal Srivastava on Radio Canada, 15/01/12
- 'Les Oreilles Sensibles' by David Christoffel, on France Musique, 25/01/12,
- 'This Way Up' on Radio New Zealand, 04/02,12
- 'Spectrum' by Cyrus Farivar, on Deutsche Welle, 09/02/12 (go directly to 21'37)
- 'Impatience' by Adrien Zerbini, on Radio Suisse Romande, 14/02/12
- Le Magazine by Lionel Esparza, on France Musique, 06/12/12.